Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Identity???

Identity. It can either make us or break us. Who am I and what am I here for? It's the haunting question that we all seem to face. God has really been stirring that question in me lately. Everywhere I turn I'm faced with people searching for who they are and what they are supposed to be doing. 

For those of you who don't know me I am a hairstylist so I am constantly surrounded by women who struggle with this very thing. Whether they hide behind their husbands identity, live vicariously through their children, or are obsessed with what they look like. They still feel empty. I know I am famous for trying to make everything on the outside appear to be perfect so that everyone around me thinks that I am in fact perfect. However if I am being completely honest I am a hot mess inside! I feel so empty sometimes. Feeling as if there's got to be more to life. I don't know what it is but we all struggle with this just in different ways. At least I know I did up until recently when I was faced with this realization.

The real truth of the matter is who we are comes from nothing or no one except for Christ himself. He is our identity. We are His children created in His image(Genesis 1:27). The funny thing is this concept is so hard to grasp and comprehend. In fact being a daughter of the King just doesn't seem to be enough sometimes. There should be more right? So we start to search for who we are or want to be in all the wrong things. We have to "find ourselves". The world tells us how we should be, what we should look like, what we have is measured by our success, our kids have to  be involved in every sport or activity because if we are not busy then something is wrong. Now I haven't read the whole Bible but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't say that I have to look like a Victoria Secret model, my husband has to make 6 figures, that I have to live in a big house, drive a nice car, and I have to make my life so busy that I feel like a crazy person. In fact the Bible says that I shouldn't conform to the ways of the world(Romans 12:2) and not to love the world or anything in it(1 John 2:15-16). I am to be an example of Christ(Ephesians 5:1-2). But we give in to the world and all the business anyway then wonder why our lives are so stressful and why life feels so empty. So by the time we think we have figured out who we are, we are in such a deep pit and held captive in our own body and don't even realize it. Its all a part of Satan's plan. I love that saying that says if Satan can't make us bad he will make us busy. We have given into all his lies. Why is it so much easier to believe the lies than it is to believe God's truth about who we are in Him and what we are supposed to be doing? I believe its because our minds are weak and we aren't able to stand firm on God's word long enough to fight Satan off. Satan, who's name is defined as "the  accuser" is the author of lies(John 8:44). He would love nothing more than to separate us from the One who loves us most. He has destined us to that pit. And yet we give into him and allow him to have control over us. 

Speaking of control, another thing we find our identity in is our past. Our past can control our life if we allow it. The people that have hurt us, the bad decisions we have made, betrayal, bitterness and resentment. The list goes on and on. These things take root within us and become apart of who we are. They become so natural to us that we don't even realize the bondage that we are in because of it. Most of the time we don't even want to let go of the past because we don't know who to be without it. 

Well I have good news! Nothing we have ever done, what's been done to us, or the decisions we've made can separate us from Gods love(Rom 8:38-39). There is true freedom in Christ. He came so that we would no longer be slaves to all the things that bind us(Galations 5:1). When we learn and believe His truth about us that's when the freedom begins(John 8:31-32).

So what does that mean if our identity is in Christ? It means that we are who God says we are. We are His children, an heir of Christ himself(Galatians 4:7; Rom 8:15-17). We are His masterpiece(Ephesians 2:10). We have a purpose and a God given destiny. He chose us before He spoke us into existence(Psalms 139:13-18). He hand picked our characteristics and made us exactly how we are supposed to be to live out the calling we have on our lives. His love for us is unconditional. We can't even fathom how much He loves us(Ephesians3:18-19). But until we come to grips with who we are in Christ and how much he loves us we will never be able to live a life that's worthy of the calling(2Thessalonians 1:11). Life is too short to waste time wallowing in what we think makes us. We have things to do that only we can do. 

Friends, I encourage you to not let this world or anyone tell you who you should be. Allow God to be your identity so that you can be confident in who you are to do this thing we call "life". He has got plans for you(Jeremiah 29:11). Amazing plans so don't settle for the worlds identity. Rather, satisfy yourself in Christ's identity. It's a choice that only you can make.
So...what will it be?

2 comments:

  1. Finally! The moment we've all been waiting for! Charlyn's first post!

    Such an awesome word. I needed this reality - my identity is not defined by this world, but found in Him.

    Thank you for your obedience in writing to us, women, that need to read the truth.

    -Whit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Charlyn! This really spoke to me. I'm in the midst of "redefining" myself with a totally empty nest, etc. You reminded me of where my true identity lies! Love you - proud of you! <3

    ReplyDelete